In this blog, by showing the principle of operation in induction furnaces and examples of oxygen lance pipes, it is possible to encourage steelmakers who use induction furnaces to introduce various types of oxygen lance pipes.
An induction furnace is a metal dissolving furnace that is powered by electricity. It generates heat by using an alternating current control valve coil, also known as electromagnetic induction. They are most commonly observed in the metal recycling business. A coil conveying switching electric charge surrounds chambers in the boiler. Eddy currents are created in the metal (charge), and the cycling of these current flow produces elevated temperatures, allowing the metals to be melted and alloys of correct composition to be formed.
Why we need to use oxygen lance pipes for Induction Furnace?
There are various areas in Induction Furnaces, where steel manufacturers apply different types of oxygen lance pipes.
- Lower Carbon to under 0.25%:
The most common type of carbon steel is moderate steel with carbon under 0.25%. Such steels typically get an amount of carbon of less than 0.25 wt.%. It can really be toughened by high temperatures to generate hardenability. Low-carbon steels are commonly used in vehicle body structures, construction forms, pipelines, building and bridge elements, and culinary bottles. Therefore, adjusting oxygen levels precisely during this process is one majority requirement. Longer time lifespan oxygen lance pipes with high heat and corrosion resistance are the optimal choices. For this purpose, we recommend customers use Daiwa Calorized Lance pipe to enhance the performance.
Photo of the low carbon steel which was applied to the breaking test
- Cleaning Furnaces or Cutting Frozen Steel:
During the steel melting process, molten steel will stick to the wall, and on the floor. The finishing process requires workers to cleaning of the plant due to this situation. The molten steel is poured into the ladle, which serves as a furnace for metallurgical operations at the production plants. After the remaining liquids have cooled, the ladle furnace should always be cleaned. Therefore, it is needed to use an oxygen lance pipe with a powerful flame to burn and remove the cool-down steel still sticking to the furnace and the floor. For this purpose, we recommend customers use Daiwa Thermic Lance and Daiwa SC Lance pipe to enhance the performance.
Photo of Operator Cleaning the Ladle Furnace inside Induction Furnace Mill
Daiwa Oxygen Lance Pipes
- Daiwa SC Lance (SC) is a mild steel oxygen lance pipe made with HRC (Hot Rolled Steel Sheet in the coil), welded by high-frequency welding equipment, there is no oil, and no grease on the pipe. It is preferable to be used for cleaning ladle furnaces with small ODs.
Photo of Daiwa SC Lance Pipes in Small OD Sizes for Cleaning Purpose
- Daiwa Thermic Lance (TL) is a steel tube that is to be used for fusing metals, cutting scraps, and cleaning furnaces. The principle is that harness the oxidation heat of high temperature by providing the pressurized oxygen inside an ignited steel tube. Generally, the metal tube contains inside steel wire that promotes combustion. Daiwa Lance produces 2 types of Thermic Lance to fulfill different requirements from end-users.
- Daiwa Calorized Lance (CA) is produced by our know-how of Calorizing process technology. During the production, Calorized layer and Ceramic coating are provided both for the outside and inside of the pipe. The calorized layer and the refractory coating layer together generate strong heat resistance and anti-oxidation to achieve minimum consumption of lance pipe to cut down your cost.
Photo of Daiwa CA Lance Pipe with Technology of Heat and Corrosion Resistance
By using Daiwa Lance pipes, there are also other various impacts that could support and bring to the whole steel production process. We apply various types of oxygen lance pipes that can enhance the performance of steel production by Induction Furnaces steel mills.
If you wish to know more about the suitable oxygen lance pipe, feel free to contact our dynamic team to support you during your journey.
- Daiwa Lance Products